Voting begins soon to name the giant panda twins.
Zoo Atlanta has partnered with Good Morning America on an official voting contest to name the twin male giant pandas born to Lun Lun on July 15, 2013. The contenders for the five sets of names for the 2-month-old duo were announced by Good Morning America on October 3, 2013. Voting will begin online through Good Morning America on Wednesday, October 9, 2013. The winning names will be revealed during the cubs’ 100 Day Naming Celebration on October 23, 2013.
The five sets of names were selected by Zoo Atlanta colleagues at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding in China. Monikers in the running are as follows:
- Mei Lun (may loon) and Mei Hua (may hwaa), meaning “Lun Lun’s twin cubs born in the U.S.;”
- Mei Lun (may loon) and Mei Huan (may hwaan), originating from a Chinese idiom that also means “something indescribably beautiful and magnificent;”
- Tian Lun (tee-an loon) and Tian Le (tee-an luh), a modified version of another Chinese idiom meaning “joy of family life” or “family happiness;”
- Lan Tian (lan tee-an) and Bi Shui (bee shway), meaning “blue sky and clear water;” and
- Da Lan (dah lan) and Xiao Lan (sheow lan), meaning “bigger one (a reference to the larger Cub B) and smaller one (Cub A) of Atlanta-born twins.”
In keeping with the Chinese tradition followed with the naming of the three previous cubs born at Zoo Atlanta, the twins will be named when they are 100 days old. Stay tuned for exciting details on voting. Follow the cubs, expected to make their debut sometime in late fall, on PandaCam presented by EarthCam and on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram.